Saturday, July 16, 2005

Before launching into full blogging mode, a description is necessary. I am living in a city called Daegu in South Korea. The area that I live in is called Jisan dong and is located at the base of a local mountain range, providing some refreshing cold air from the horrible humidity here. Here in Daegu, I am an English teacher at a hagwon ( private school) in Jisan and will be living here for a further ten months.

End of description.

This weekend was supposed to see a fun filled trip to the Mud Festival at Daechon. However a nasty dose of bronchitis brought a halt to such a notion. Apparently medical professionals consider rolling around in wet mud to be hazardous to a set of weakened lungs. My trip to the doctor here was rather intriuging. Any of us who have visited a doctor are familiar with the check up system - you explain what is wrong with you, the doctor conducts a physical examination and then through his powers of medical deduction, determines what is wrong with you. Not in Korea. No. Why bother with such time consuming activities when it is far more easier to input the symptoms into a computer software system and see what it spits out for a diagnosis. While I am sure the local doctor here did indeed attend medical school, I was rather perturbed by his lack of trust in his own skills and feeling more at home with his PC and software systems, ( although not all that surprising seeing as Korea is the Holy Grail of computer rooms, stores , users, etc..) So after inputting my symptoms, the "doctor" informed me that I had bronchitis. Righto I thought, a prescription and a day of rest should have me in tip top shape. A trip to the pharmacist here is another interesting little venture. As you all know, in Ireland, a pharmacist will give you medication in the tube/bottle/container it was made in or give you a container, holding the dosage you have been instructed to take. Here, it is simplifed to such an extent that if you manage to mix up your dosage you really ought to get a smack. My dosage instructions were to take 8 pills three times a day, and so the pharmacist put my dosages into little plastic bags that are all joined together for idiot proof medication. I think i am feeling a little better..........

A trend that is taking over South Korea at the moment is the sporting of rubber bands on one's wrist. These are not to be confused with the yellow Lance Armstrong numbers, these are benefical to your health while being the ultimate fashion statement, so not to be one to miss out on such a concept, I tore into the nearest pharmacist to get myself one. Everyone here from baby to OAP is wearing these things, but the exact purpose of them is rather mystifing. When questioned, Koreans say that they are "good for your health". When pressed further, they seem oblivious to the exact "good" and seem content to accept the good for health sell. However, some of Maebh's university students informed her that the purpose of the band is to relax the body and mind. However mine is an anion bracelet and no one seems to know what it is they do, other than prevent early death.I remain unconvinced, but still keep sporting the thing.

Ian and I are on a Sideways buzz at the moment. For those that are unaware, it is a novel by Rex Pickett ( now a movie), set in the Californian vineyard area, where the lead character has a disturbing passion for Pinot wines. After reading about it, Ian and I decided that we had to try a Pinot, so this afternoon and trucked into town to buy a bottle of aforementioned wine. Wine here is pretty expensive as it is not very common and is preferred by Korea's wealthy eilte, therefore adding a hefty price tag to each bottle. However, I was able to locate a bottle for a reasonable amount and so am sitting back and enjoying a few glassed before going for galbi with Ian, Maebh and a few more friends and then onto a local bar called U2. If there isn't something from the "Joshua Tree" playing, I will be greatly disappointed.

No comments: