Thursday, March 23, 2006

A few weeks ago, Ian and I went to the tradtional market in Daegu called Seomun Market. It is a huge bustling area where you can buy everything from dried fish to bedding. If one peruses any of the literature for the market, one is informed that one will be exposed to local goods, foods, embroidery and the famed Korean friendly manner of the stall workers.

Or so they tell the tourists.

I had heard that there was a little known section where I could see caged animals waiting to be sliced, diced and minced. Little Miss Innocent here though that there would just be the usual hens, etc., sqwaking about, trying to aviod the axe of death. I had tried to find this area before, but had been unsuccessful in my hunt.

Perhaps I am more of a Little Miss Wierd, seeing as I actually wanted to see such a place.

So with Ian leading, we started to meander through the mazes of stalls and finally came across a little alleyway that was lined with stall workers selling a mixture of fish, dried fish and an assortment of veg. Further ambling, revealed more stalls displaying the Korean delicacy of chicken feet. Yum, I hear you say.

It was the stench that got me first. Then the sight of the caged animals, then the listless uncaged rabbits, thrown on boxes, making no attempt to escape. The caged, dirty puppies, whining for attention almost broke my heart. The tear jerker was seeing the kittens thrown into cages with dogs and rabbits. The little balls of dirty, bloodied fur were clawing at their little metal cells and clambouring over the apathetic puppies, mewing with desperation.

I think any future I had in an abbatoir has come an abrupt end.


Also, it wasn't until I had left the Kitty Killer area did I wonder who on earth would purchase the clothes that were hanging directly opposite animal blood, faeces and entrails. Ick.

No comments: