Thursday, March 30, 2006

So, I was at a local family's house this evening. How nice you say. Indeed, it was and it wasn't just nice, it was rather intriuging. The father is, what can only be termed a "chain smoker". His medical background has done nothing to stop him nor have the pleas of his wife and mother. Anyway, this evening he stood out on the balcony of his apartment while I chatted with his wife. I noticed that he had exited the living room with cigarettes AND a carrot. Yes. A carrot. When he finished his cigarette, he put out his cigarette and replaced the vacant space between his fingers with a carrot. He then started chewing ferociously on the raw vegetable. Naturally, I was rather curious so asked him if he had a particular fondness for raw carrots post inhalation. "No", he said, unamused, "Carrots prevent lung cancer". "Eh?", I spluttered. "Yes!", he responded.

The man has himself convinced that a carrot is going to save him from early death and nothing I said could sway him.

However there does appear to be a grain of truth in what he says!

No comments: