Thursday, August 09, 2007

Geography Ralph Wiggum Style

So I sent a package to England last week. On the package I addressed it to "England" and on the custom declaration form I wrote "United Kingdom"

The package was returned to me with a note saying that I needed to specify a country in order to facilitate international delivery.

What in the name of all that is good and holy are people taught in schools here. I have repeatedly explained to so called well educated Canadians that I am NOT British or English, that I am in fact Irish with many of them failing to notice the difference. Even more horrifying is that a substantial number are unaware of a sea separating Ireland and the United Kingdom.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I also had a difficult time sending something to Scotland, I think, when I went to the Post Office earlier this spring. If I remember correctly, I wrote Scotland and the person behind the counter asked me which country Scotland was in...or something like that. I'm not really sure, but I am sure that I likely rolled my eyes.

Nev 360 said...

Is Ireland not part of the UK?

Eileen said...

Snort Snort Neville, Snort Snort.

Jenny,yes, many North Americans have a limited international geographical awareness. While in St. Louis a very nice man asked me where I was from. I told him Ireland to which he responded, "So did you drive here or take a train".

Yeah............................

Anonymous said...

Hi Eileen - I had similar problems when living in the states. If I'd say I was from Dublin, they'd assume Dublin Ohio! ;-)

Course they also felt the need to tell you they are Irish too - which really means their mother's cousin's father-in-law's sister's former roommate was Irish, which of COURSE makes them Irish too! ;-)