Thursday, September 06, 2007



So I got the video up after a lifetime of trying and never bothered to comment on it. This is what technology does to me. It takes so long to 'work things out' that I am too bored/tired/apathetic to act on the result when it FINALLY appears. I have been trying to load videos for the last 3 weeks and each time they failed. I understand "videoing" is still at the experimental level with Blogger but they did nothing but tease me for three whole weeks. I even purposely left the house looking for things to record and that was when I discovered there wasn't all that much going on and that there was no way the camera had enough space for me to do the artsy "American Beauty' plastic bag in the air thing. So I captured part of my commuter trip from Toronto to Whitby. Every morning and evening the train runs along the banks and beaches of Lake Ontario and each time it never fails to take my breath away. Early in the morning I watch the sun start to peak over the surface while on the way home the blue of the water seems to stretch forever. On sunny days, the water is a cornflower blue whereas on stormy days it is an angry swirling mass of grey. My moment of Zen is always welcome on my trip home seeing as I usually sharing the carriage with the extras from 'Grease". There are three ladies that take the same train as me each working day and they do not know the meaning of 'inside voices'. They roar at the tops of their voices about how great their kids are. Such oral treats range from, 'I just had to buy this book for little Emily. She's only 1 but has such a grasp of English and loves monkeys and communicates with her big words and hasn't signed in months and might join Mensa and is a genius and is sprinting not walking and will definitely start ballet tomorrow and we will so tell the Bolshoi about her and she will obviously be top of her class and she pooed solids today' to 'Jack learned French in two days'. Well, maybe not quite, but the basic premise of their conversations is to bash the other Mom's kids and operate as one woman advertising billboards for their little darlings. I am quite sure that little Emily and Little Jack are still lying horizontal and a long way from vertical stances. Therefore, I do not care about the antics of their offspring and don't wish to be unwillingly exposed to them. Ah yes, I mentioned that they look like they are all 'Grease' extras. I shall explain. Remember Rizzo? Yeah? Well these three ladies look like they are modeling themselves on her. Same giant hair, same make up, same walk, same voice same everything and it drives me mental. Anyday now I am expecting the three of them to launch into the Grease Megamix.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah I was wondering what that was. Pretty! As for your last post about camping. I´d similar exeriences when we went to Latvia and Estonia on hols in August. We did lots of outdoorsie stuff and was really beautiful. Forests that went on for 100s of miles, pristine lakes, medieval castles, and Russian Orthodox churches. But lots of scarey toilets!

Did u hear Limerick were in the All Ireland Hurling final? And lost? I went home to Limerick for it and there was some craic to be had on the streets (they´d set up a big outdoor screen on O´Connell st) and of course in the bars, until it all got messy and it was time to go home..

I´m off to Budapest next thurs for a long weekend (Miguel´s going to a conference and Im just tagging along- speaking of tagging along, did you hear about paul going to Rio? Jammy). I´m so not made for this working life!

Jenny said...

Your train ride looks more rural than I expected it to be! I think you should next capture some video and audio of the Grease people!

Eileen said...

Yeah that's the only really country part as the train weaves its way along the Green Belt. The Grease people are next on my list!