Saturday, July 16, 2005

Fot those that are interested,please peruse the Daegu website, http://english.daegu.go.kr/ for some informative facts and cultural updates. I am outraged to hear that I missed out on BoneyM playing as I would have provided a wonderful accopaniment ( i have no idea how to spell that, working with plain phonic abilites on that one), to Daddy Cool. Please note the title on the top left hand corner of the site, City of Environment ( the titles keep slipping to such gems as "City of International Mind" and "Where your dreams come true..apparently pathological lying has reached local council levels). Anyway, Daegu had deluded itself into thinking that sticking a few trees on the main streets constitutes "environmental awareness". Perhaps the word "mental" is in environmental for a reason. Korean attitudes to caring for the environment are questionable- rubbish is abandonded in multiple bags in piles gathering on street corners and drain systems could really do with a dose of Mammy power cleaning. Also of note here is the fact that it is not permissable to throw food waste out as general garbage. Who knew? I probably did, but chose to turn a deaf ear. In Korea, all food waste must be thrown into yellow trash can thingies that are positioned on street corners. Seeing as the procedure shrieks of effort, I have chosen to carefully hide my waste food in amongst papers and the like and casually dump it among the other trash bags. However, I had not reckoned on the might of the cardboard/plastic/glass hunting people scouring through my trash and through incredible powers of deduction, establishing that it is Eileen of Apartment blah blah that has thrown the Daegu rubbish dump out of sync. Yes, I received a fine from the council for throwing out food as general waste and I have no idea how they knew it was me. If I ever find the person who tipped the council off as to my evil ways...............
Even though I have complained for the last number of lines, it is such little things that keep me so fascinated with this country and hope that their quirky little ways will not succumb to the might of the United States of McDonalds Capitalist Notions.

No comments: